SBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Translator
Our Affiliates
Click the image to enter our affiliate's sites!
SpongeHolly's Spongebobness.com Book Reviews Hollyturneraffiliate
Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight for August 2011 is...
Deli!
Book Reviews 106-51
Posts and Members
We've hit 500 members!
SBC News
What's New? Currently.... SBC has hit over 500 members! This is great news for us, and hopefully we'll be getting to 600 members soon. Also, a brand new contest is going on. The first 5 users to find a golden ticket hidden somewhere on the forum, will get early access to v7! Congratulations to SOF who was the first person to find the ticket. Remember - use your heads! There are only 3 spots left. See the "Lost Temple" announcement on the homepage for more. Speaking of contests, don't forget to participate in our other contest to put a funny, original caption on an image. The winner will receive 1000 doubloons. In the future... SBC will be moving to vBulletin on August 26th, 2011. This will also be the launch of v7. We had a good time on forumotion, but it is time for us to move. Stay tuned for more!
Richest Users
UPDATED 1.) that70sguy92 (Net Worth: 40817) 2.) Clappy (Net Worth: 25979) 3.) Wumbology (Net Worth: 23558) 4.) jjsthekid (Net Worth: 19850) 5.) Jelly (Net Worth: 19621) 6). tvguy347 (Net Worth: 19142) 7.) Steel Sponge (Net Worth: 14322) 8.) Metal Snake (Net Worth: 13624) 9.) SOF (Net Worth: 12247) 10.) teenj12 (Net Worth: 11163)
SpongeBob News
A brand new DVD named "SpongeBob's Runaway Roadtrip" will be released September 20th, 2011!
Latest topics
» Best Song Ever contest
Book Reviews Empty8/31/2019, 7:31 pm by Frank Costanza

» Very important reminder!
Book Reviews Empty8/19/2019, 10:40 pm by Patty Sponge

» my sbc fantasy
Book Reviews Empty8/19/2019, 10:35 pm by Patty Sponge

» hahahahahaha i'm posting in the krabby kronicle
Book Reviews Empty8/19/2019, 10:31 pm by Patty Sponge

» FORUMOTION LIVES
Book Reviews Empty8/19/2019, 9:15 pm by Frank Costanza

» Sean Kingston's Birthday
Book Reviews Empty8/19/2019, 9:08 pm by Frank Costanza

» Hey! I can still post here!
Book Reviews Empty7/1/2018, 8:52 pm by HawkbitAlpha

» The Lobby
Book Reviews Empty12/26/2017, 10:47 pm by SpongeBob’s #1 Fan

» Post Your iDevice's Home Screen
Book Reviews Empty12/26/2017, 8:14 pm by TheOpenWindowManiac

Book Reviews

2 posters

Go down

Book Reviews Empty Book Reviews

Post by tvguy347 9/25/2010, 4:10 pm

Review one of your favorite books! =D

Title of Book:
Author:
Summary:
Review:
tvguy347
tvguy347
Cashiers
Cashiers

Browser : Safari
Doubloons : 42365

Back to top Go down

Book Reviews Empty Re: Book Reviews

Post by ExKizuna 9/25/2010, 6:59 pm

Title of Book: 13 Reasons Why

Author: Jay Asher

Summary: Clay Jensen, an average, if somewhat shy, high school student, returns home from school one day to find a box sitting on his doorstep. Upon opening it, he discovers that it is a shoebox containing seven cassette tapes recorded by the late Hannah Baker – his classmate and emotional crush who recently committed suicide. The tapes were initially mailed to one classmate with instructions to pass them from one student to another, in the style of a chain letter. On the tapes, Hannah explains to thirteen people how they played a role in her death, by giving thirteen reasons to explain why she took her life. Curiosity and fear of exposure keep the people on the list listening to the tapes, and through the audio narrative Hannah reveals her pain, and her slide into depression that ultimately leads to her suicide.

Review: To start this review, I will start by covering each reason, with my own intake on those individually, before the book in whole.

1. Justin Foley, the first boy Hannah had ever kissed, who lies and exaggerates the event saying that they had gone further. This gives Hannah a negative reputation at her new school. (I can see how this puts a downer on her. I mean, thats a fucking dicky move, saying you fucked her, even though it was just a small kiss. What makes me hate this Foley guy more, is that he appears again. But again, my opinion on this one: It's realistic, and I hate the guy. That means... It's good!)

2. Alex Standall, the boy who put her down as the "Hottest Ass in the Freshman Class" on his Freshman Class—Who's Hot / Who's Not list. This action perpetuates the reputation of promiscuity, and causes her to become the object of sexual harassment. (Another fucking dicky move. C'mon Alex the dick, you knew she had a rumor going around- why'd you have to make it worse. She's a fucking freshman, for pete's sake. While this is just more of the "makes me tic" reasons, it still put a great deal of emotional pain on her. Again, a reasonable thing tha could bring her to suicide.)

3. Jessica Davis, one of her first acquaintances. She was jealous of Hannah due to the fact that Hannah had been put on the Hot list and Jessica herself was on the not list. Jessica also liked Alex, assumed the rumors that Justin was perpetuating were true, and abandoned Hannah as a friend. (This just ain't right. She was in need of a friend, and you abandon her for some dick who tries to get pleasure out of making stupid lists. Another "makes me tick" one, but again, I see how it hurt her.)

4. Tyler Down, a boy who was peeping in Hannah's window and taking pictures of her. Hannah and another girl (Courtney) attempted to catch him in the act. This causes Hannah to feel unsafe in one of her last sanctuaries, her own home. (I hate Courtney Crimsen... but we're getting to that later. Now, this is as bad as the first one. She's already feeling so much emotional pain... and you stalk her, and watch her. You're lucky this ain't a true story.)

5. Courtney Crimsen, a girl who most consider nice, who often hurts people unintentionally. Hannah had thought that they had become friends after playfully attempting to catch the stalker/peeping Tom, but Hannah discovers that Courtney, too, has been manufacturing and perpetuating rumors. (This little bitch was saying that Hannah really had sexual things in her room, and said that Hannah wanted to do all of the things they said to catch Tyler Down. This just isn''t fucking right. I love how Hannah catches Courtney in the end, though: by taking a picture of her(Courtney's) hand on Hannah, and them in a slightly erotic pose: and made it seem like Courtney did it. Cleverz, Hannah. =P)

6. Marcus Cooley, who went on a date with Hannah on Valentine's Day. The date was a joke, but he realized that Hannah might have taken it seriously and went to the diner. When he finds her there, he tries to force her to allow him to touch her in a sexual manner. ( i can't even begin to say how much happy I was when Clay punched him a little bit earlier in the story. See, clay punched him because he was slightly talking shit about Hannah. Oh, and this little dick is such a smartass. I really just wish I was Clay, and was able to get my hands on him.)

7. Zach Dempsey, who witnesses the confrontation between Marcus and Hannah, offers assistance, but is rebuffed by Hannah. Possibly out of spite, he later steals her "compliment letters", which were a part of a Peer Communication class, when Hannah was in severe need of positive reinforcement. (REAAAAAAAAAAAL dicky move, dude. you now she was in need of compliments... And you steal them off of her. Dicky move.)

8. Ryan Shaver, the editor of a school newspaper, who befriended Hannah out of a common interest in poetry, shared private poems with her, and Hannah shared her private poems with him. Ryan published one of Hannah's poems which he had stolen, and her private poem was dissected and ridiculed among the student body. (Seems like a makes-me-tick move to some, but I can see why it hurt her so bad: With all of the past things in her life, she gets something- that wasn't even supposed to go public- of her's made fun of. Ryan, you're a dick too.)

9. Clay Jensen (co-narrator), who Hannah connected with and fell in love with, but at this point in her life she was having difficulty connecting with anyone on an emotional level. Clay was not on the list, but she sent him the tapes because she regretted never getting the opportunity to know him better. Clay conversely feels guilty that he didn't try harder to understand Hannah, who he had affection for in return. ( i think the description says it all. But Clay is an awesome character, FYI.)

10. Justin Foley again, who after leaving Jessica Davis passed out in a bedroom at a party, allows Bryce Walker to enter the room and rape her. Unknown to everyone, Hannah was hiding in the closet, and did not help Jessica either. She holds herself and Justin partially responsible for Jessica's rape. (In a book like this, you know there will be a "guilt" part, and this is it. I think it says everything for itself, liek the last one.)

11. Jenny Kurtz, a cheerleader who helped hook Hannah up with Marcus. She was giving Hannah a ride home when she hit and knocked over a stop sign. Jenny refused to report it and, when pressed further, kicked Hannah out of the car. Due to the missing stop sign, a senior citizen was hurt and a student, that attends their school, later died in an accident that evening due to the missing stop sign. (I can actually see how this hurt her, though not in the way everyone else will see it. For one, a student was killed for something mildly her fault, and two, she had to walk home in the night, right after reasons 9 and 10.)

12. Bryce Walker, who engaged in manual sex with her after another party, ignored her apathy towards him. Hannah consented to this activity to try and force herself to the conclusion that committing suicide was the right choice. (Woooooooow. This is just.... wow. this guy should've been the sudent that died in the car accident, for this dicky freaking move. First, he rapes Jessica Davis, then he basically rapes Hannah.

13. Mr. Porter, the counselor who she hinted to about her plans to commit suicide, and he still allowed her to leave his office and failed to follow up properly. His poor advice was the last straw for Hannah. (It wasn't this guy's fault, I know this... But seriously, his advice DID suck. They should have some better councelers at this school.)

And yes, im treating this as if these were real people. Why? Because, when handling a book like this, you need to see the reality values, and real people in these characters.

Ill admit it, this book made me cry. Yes. It actually made me cry. that just SHOWS how good it was. But yes, I mega ultimately reccomend this book. it was just... Awesomely written, realistic, just great. if you're into stories like this, then again, I STRONGLY reccomend it.

Ratings: Since it's realistic fiction, then here we go:

Character Development: 10/10 (It's really hard for there to be character development, but we still get it. Mainly from Clay and Hannah, though. But hey, it's still there.

Realisticness: 10/10 (I could honestly see myself turning on the news, and hearing about this.)

Characters: 10/10 (There ARE some small faults in the characters, but it's only in the smaller characters that we brush off quickly. Great characters.)

Length: 9/10( I wish it was a little longer, but hey, it's still a great book. And plus, it's good length if you really wanna speed through it. It's middle in length, almost 300 pages long(like, 270))

Final score: 39/40. 97.5/100, A. Great book. =D
ExKizuna
ExKizuna
Managers
Managers

Browser : Internet Explorer
Doubloons : 28952

Back to top Go down