SBC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Translator
Our Affiliates
Click the image to enter our affiliate's sites!
SpongeHolly's Spongebobness.com The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Hollyturneraffiliate
Community Spotlight
Community Spotlight for August 2011 is...
Deli!
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread 106-51
Posts and Members
We've hit 500 members!
SBC News
What's New? Currently.... SBC has hit over 500 members! This is great news for us, and hopefully we'll be getting to 600 members soon. Also, a brand new contest is going on. The first 5 users to find a golden ticket hidden somewhere on the forum, will get early access to v7! Congratulations to SOF who was the first person to find the ticket. Remember - use your heads! There are only 3 spots left. See the "Lost Temple" announcement on the homepage for more. Speaking of contests, don't forget to participate in our other contest to put a funny, original caption on an image. The winner will receive 1000 doubloons. In the future... SBC will be moving to vBulletin on August 26th, 2011. This will also be the launch of v7. We had a good time on forumotion, but it is time for us to move. Stay tuned for more!
Richest Users
UPDATED 1.) that70sguy92 (Net Worth: 40817) 2.) Clappy (Net Worth: 25979) 3.) Wumbology (Net Worth: 23558) 4.) jjsthekid (Net Worth: 19850) 5.) Jelly (Net Worth: 19621) 6). tvguy347 (Net Worth: 19142) 7.) Steel Sponge (Net Worth: 14322) 8.) Metal Snake (Net Worth: 13624) 9.) SOF (Net Worth: 12247) 10.) teenj12 (Net Worth: 11163)
SpongeBob News
A brand new DVD named "SpongeBob's Runaway Roadtrip" will be released September 20th, 2011!
Latest topics
» Best Song Ever contest
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty8/31/2019, 7:31 pm by Frank Costanza

» Very important reminder!
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty8/19/2019, 10:40 pm by Patty Sponge

» my sbc fantasy
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty8/19/2019, 10:35 pm by Patty Sponge

» hahahahahaha i'm posting in the krabby kronicle
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty8/19/2019, 10:31 pm by Patty Sponge

» FORUMOTION LIVES
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty8/19/2019, 9:15 pm by Frank Costanza

» Sean Kingston's Birthday
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty8/19/2019, 9:08 pm by Frank Costanza

» Hey! I can still post here!
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty7/1/2018, 8:52 pm by HawkbitAlpha

» The Lobby
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty12/26/2017, 10:47 pm by SpongeBob’s #1 Fan

» Post Your iDevice's Home Screen
The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty12/26/2017, 8:14 pm by TheOpenWindowManiac

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread

+5
OMJ
that70sguy92
Sabre
SOF
jjsthekid
9 posters

Go down

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread

Post by jjsthekid 7/1/2011, 11:56 am

Index
July 2011 - The Complete 2nd Season (Written by Sabre, Dragiiin and CDCB)
August 2011 - Heroes of Bikini Bottom (Written by SpongeSebastian)

July 2011:

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread 12

The Complete Season 2 DVD Box Art Review
(Written by Sabresponge)

Season 2 not only has some of the greatest episodes in the entire history of the show, but it also has some of the most creative and fun artwork in possibly all of the Spongebob season sets!

The box-art has a nice, bright orange color covering the whole of the box with the pattern of Spongebob's house on the front (I do love the little touch of the green stalk on Spongebob's house atop the box). There's a nice image of a cheerful Spongebob peering out the window (It may be a default image but I still think it was used rather nicely here). Besides the words "The Complete 2nd Season" written in white writing around the window there's nothing much else to comment on.

On the back of the case we see Plankton cutting a hole in Spongebob's house and presumably trying to sneak inside. The episode titles are written in white, using pretty boring text so there‘s not much to comment on other than what I just did either.

Overall score for Front and Back box-art: 83%

Disc 1
On the cover of Disc 1 we see Spongebob looking happily at Patrick dancing with Wormy (The ninth episode on the disc). A nice blue background both on the front, and back while there's a small plot description for each episode.

Disc 2
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy stand heroically as Spongebob and Patrick watch on with smiles spread across their faces (From the fifth episode on the disc "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III").

Disc 3
The Hash Slinging Slasher enters the Krusty Krab while Spongebob and Squidward watch in horror (This scene is from "The Graveyard Shift" and is the first episode on the set).

Overall score for DVD Cases: 86%

The actual discs aren’t that interesting (They basically reused a smaller version of each image). So there’s not much else I can say.

Overall score for the Discs: 65%

To conclude The Spongebob DVD Collection “The Complete Second Season” is a really great set with some nice artwork and classic episodes. So, I guess I’ll end by giving The Complete Second Season of Spongebob Squarepants a very respectable score of 78 out hundred rounded up to an eight out of ten.

Overall score for Spongebob Squarepants “The Complete Second Season” Box art: 78/100 (B+)

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread 110exkw

The Complete Season 2 DVD Special Features Review
(Written by Dragiiin123)

Unfortunately there is only 1 special feature, called All Around The World With Spongebob.
All around the world with spongebob showcases Spongebob's significance in other countries, and shows Spongebob episode in other languages. I learned some pretty rad stuff from there, including Spongebob's name in Spanish is Bob Esponja, as Jelly would probably know. Interviews were pretty informative, and it was interesting to see what other language fans thought about it. Even though I think that one little feature is a little bit less, it was still a good feature. 3/5, would watch again.

Overall score for SpongeBob Squarepants “The Complete Second Season” Special Features: 3/5 (C-)

The Complete Season 2 DVD Episodes Review
(Written by CDCB)

Here are my Top 10 episodes from the DVD:

1. Band Geeks: Sweet…sweet…sweet victory! Yeah! In this episode, Squidward has to face his rival, Squilliam Fancyson, and lead his band in the Bubble Bowl! Problem is, Squidward doesn’t have a band, so he has three days to teach everyone in Bikini Bottom to play in a band. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest episodes in SpongeBob history. Not only is it full of gags that made me laugh hard the first time I saw the episode, but it also has an amazing song at the end.

This episode deserves an A+

2. Christmas Who?: The first special with Patchy, this episode features Patchy telling the story of how Christmas was first celebrated in Bikini Bottom. However, everyone but Squidward believes in Santa Claus. Overall, this is an excellent episode. It has really excellent jokes such as Patrick writing on a piece of paper by moving the paper around on the pencil, as well as the “Very First Christmas to Me” song.

I’ll give this episode an A+

3. Dying for Pie: One of my personal favorites, this episode is about Squidward being nice to SpongeBob after believing that SpongeBob accidentally swallowed an explosive pie bomb. Such things that SpongeBob and Squidward do together include babbling like “idiots” and even open heart surgery. In my opinion, this is one of the best episodes of SpongeBob. It shows that Squidward really does care for SpongeBob deep down inside under all this hatred.

This episode gets an A+

4. Shanghaied: While not as good as Christmas Who?, this episode is another winner. This episode features SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward being stranded on the Flying Dutchman’s ship and having to do his every bidding. Originally aired as a Patchy special where users would call in and vote for the ending they wanted, all 3 endings are absent from this DVD set, despite the fact that they are available on the Sea Stories DVD.

This episode gets an A

5. Your Shoe’s Untied: Patrick gets new shoes, and SpongeBob will teach Patrick how to tie them, that is, if he can remember how to tie his own shoes! He goes all around Bikini Bottom looking for someone to help him learn to tie his shoes, even encountering Painty the Pirate (“Arr…I just be a paintin’ of a head!”). The episode closes off with a song called “Loop de Loop” sung by Ween. This is definitely the highlight of the episode.

I feel this episode is deserving of an A

6. No Free Rides: Mrs. Puff gets a great scheme—pass SpongeBob and get rid of him for good! This works out at first…that is until SpongeBob gets his own boat! Mrs. Puff has to correct her mistake before it’s too late! Overall this is a really good episode. My personal favorite part is in the beginning where the French narrator is run over by the boat SpongeBob is driving.

This episode deserves an A

7. Something Smells: It’s Sunday, and you know what that means…that’s right—SpongeBob makes a sundae! The next thing SpongeBob knows, everyone keeps running away from him, and Patrick convinces SpongeBob that he has the “ugly.” Patrick tries to help SpongeBob learn to live with his “ugliness,” but that doesn’t work out so well. It is interesting to note that all DVD and VHS releases of this episode have two messed up lines due to an audio error.

This episode has earned an A

8. Pressure: In this episode, Sandy, SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs have a disagreement as to who is better—land or sea creatures. They end up having a battle where our heroes have to stay on dry land for a whole minute. Who will win? Find out in this exciting episode! Overall, this is a pretty good episode. A highlight is seeing SpongeBob and friends in puppet form, most notably Squidward’s appearance.

This is a very good episode, and it gets an A-

9. Gary Takes a Bath: This is the first shorter SpongeBob episode since Reef Blower. As the title implies, this is about Gary taking a bath. However, SpongeBob has a hard time getting Gary into the tub, so he resorts to drastic measures. This episode is very gag filled (I especially like the part where Gary is right above the tub and pops back onto the floor), and I praise it for that. It is interesting to note that this episode was banned in the UK for shocking imagery.

This episode gets a B+

10. I’m Your Biggest Fanatic: SpongeBob and Patrick are at a jellyfishing convention when SpongeBob believes he is given the opportunity to join the Jellyspotters. Keven the Sea Cucumber is really just looking to see how many times SpongeBob can get stung. While this is still a very good episode, this is one of the weaker episodes of the season. While it has a good amount of jokes, most of them revolve around someone getting stung by jellyfish.

This episode gets a B-

Overview: This is one of the best seasons for episodes in SpongeBob. It is believed to be one of the best among many fans, and the SpongeBob crew deserves a big hand for the hard work that went into the production of the season.

Final Grade: A

The Complete Season 2 DVD Final Grade
(Written by CDCB)
This is a pretty good DVD set. Despite the lack of features, the cover art is some of the best, and the episodes are high quality. Recommended for any SpongeBob fan!

Total Grade: 78% / C+

That's our first ever review. Special thanks for CDCB who subbed for Fa's review. The sign-up thread is back, so feel free to sign-up for a month.

Last edited by jjsthekid on 8/5/2011, 6:27 pm; edited 10 times in total
jjsthekid
jjsthekid
Managers
Managers

Browser : Safari
Doubloons : 42871

Back to top Go down

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty Re: The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread

Post by SOF 7/1/2011, 12:24 pm

a very nice r1st review in July 1st, i must say it was impressive good job. i also mention that Band Geeks dud make it in #1 in greatest moment in Nicktoon history countdown (and #1 episode in Nicktoons Network) during 100 Greatest Moments in Nicktoon History Marathon in 2007 (and on Nicktoon Network).

I also loved how you choose 2nd Season DVD which is excellent choice to review it & that's about it good job guys!
SOF
SOF
Good Noodles
Good Noodles

Browser : Firefox
Doubloons : 35303

Back to top Go down

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Empty Re: The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread

Post by Sabre 7/1/2011, 2:00 pm

I'm sorry but I don't see how 78% is on scale with a C+ grade (As seventy is close to eighty and an eighty out of one hundred is not equivalent to a C+, It's more like a B+ of B grade) But other than that, great reviews Smile
Sabre
Sabre
Good Noodles
Good Noodles

Doubloons : 28653

Back to top Go down

Post by jjsthekid 7/1/2011, 2:05 pm

Tails wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see how 78% is on scale with a C+ grade (As seventy is close to eighty and an eighty out of one hundred is not equivalent to a C+, It's more like a B+ of B grade) But other than that, great reviews Smile

CDCB did the Final Grade. But I'll edit it, thanks.
jjsthekid
jjsthekid
Managers
Managers

Back to top Go down

Post by that70sguy92 7/4/2011, 3:29 pm

Tails wrote:I'm sorry but I don't see how 78% is on scale with a C+ grade (As seventy is close to eighty and an eighty out of one hundred is not equivalent to a C+, It's more like a B+ of B grade) But other than that, great reviews Smile
Haha, have you ever been graded? It's most definitely a C... I'll have to pull up the grading system from Tennessee schools (and most schools I believe) in a bit.
that70sguy92
that70sguy92
Managers
Managers

Browser : Chrome
Doubloons : 63887

Back to top Go down

Post by OMJ 7/4/2011, 3:36 pm

At the rate the grading system in Hawaii is getting, 78 will be worth a B/B+
OMJ
OMJ
Good Noodles
Good Noodles

Doubloons : 27511

Back to top Go down

Post by SpongeSebastian 7/4/2011, 4:37 pm

You guys forgot to mention to mention the awesome commentaries and the pop-out cover art that shows various season 2 characters inside SpongeBob's house.

But overall, pretty thorough review! SOO Happy
SpongeSebastian
SpongeSebastian
Cashiers
Cashiers

Doubloons : 26952

http://www.tv.com/users/SpongeSebastian/profile.php

Back to top Go down

Post by ExKizuna 7/4/2011, 4:56 pm

78 is a C/C+, brah.
ExKizuna
ExKizuna
Managers
Managers

Browser : Internet Explorer
Doubloons : 28807

Back to top Go down

Post by jjsthekid 8/5/2011, 8:09 am

August 2011:

The Official SpongeBob DVD Review Thread Heroesdvd

Heroes of Bikini Bottom DVD Review
(Written by SpongeSebastian)

Heroes of Bikini Bottom DVD Cover Art Review

The front of the cover art features a picture of SpongeBob above the title and images of Barnacle Boy, Patrick, and Mermaid Man. SpongeBob and Patrick appear the way they did in the episode "Shuffleboarding", despite that episode not being included in this DVD. If you look closely, you can see the images made of Ben-Day dots, probably to make the art appear as if it were a comic book. Like all other DVDs, the back contains an episode listing with descriptions, along with special features. It also contains three screenshots from these episodes: "Back to the Past", "The Bad Guy Club for Villains", and "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful".

Heroes of Bikini Bottom DVD Episodes Review

This DVD contains eight episodes from Season 7. They are all very decent episodes I'd recommend watching. The audio is in Dolby Digital stereo and each episode (and special feature) is closed captioned. Here are the descriptions for each, along with thoughts/ratings (in the order that they are on the disc):

Back to the Past: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy show SpongeBob and Patrick their locker with memories with the warning not to touch anything. Someone didn't listen! This was a surprisingly good episode. It is longer than normal, but I liked how they picked the original Batman stars to play MM&BB's younger selves: Burt Ward and Adam West. 8/10

The Bad Guy Club for Villains: With the Dirty Bubble, Man Ray, the Atomic Flounder, Jumbo Shrimp, and the Sinister Slug on their way to Bikini Bottom, this can only mean one thing. But what? A little disappointing that they didn't have Burt and Adam to do the voices this time, and it was a bit boring not having SpongeBob and Patrick directly involved, but it was still cool to see an actual episode of the MM&BB show. 6/10

Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful: Squidward cleans up the city of Bikini Bottom with "help" from SpongeBob. Pretty funny episode. Anti-Squidward abuse people might not like it though. 7.5/10

A Pal For Gary: SpongeBob brings Gary a pet that terrorizes him. The storyline is pretty interesting. Has some good moments. 7/10

Yours, Mine and Mine: SpongeBob and Patrick learn to share a toy. Sort of. A decent buddy episode. The plot could have been tweaked a little though. 7/10

Kracked Krabs: SpongeBob goes with Mr. Krabs to the Cheapest Crab Convention. One of my favorite Mr. Krabs episodes. Lots of hilarious moments. 9/10

A Day Without Tears: Squidward bets SpongeBob he can't go a day without crying. A very nice SpongeBob-Squidward episode. SpongeBob can act a little bit annoying in this episode, but it's still a funny episode. 8/10

Summer Job: When Mrs. Puff has to work through her summer break at the Krusty Krab, guess who trains her?! Not a big fan of Mrs. Puff episodes, but I think they made this one work a little. 7/10

Heroes of Bikini Bottom DVD Special Features Review

The DVD contains three animated shorts:

Time Machine: SpongeBob and Patrick teleport themselves to the time when Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy were babies.

Lessons Learned: SpongeBob and Patrick go back in time to teach their baby selves life skills.

And Krabs Saves the Day: When Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy run out of Tarter Sauce to defeat Man Ray, Super Tightwad flies in to save the day.

I'm guessing they originally made these shorts because they thought Nick would treat "Back to the Past" as a special.

The DVD also contains two bonus episodes of TUFF Puppy: "Mall Rat" and "Operation: Happy Birthday". If you're a bit of a TUFF Puppy fan like I am, you'll love this DVD!

Heroes of Bikini Bottom DVD Final Grade

Overall, this DVD's content is pretty decent for a themed SpongeBob DVD. The video and audio quality is near-perfect and the special features are just an extra treat. Unlike other SpongeBob DVDs that I own, the menu page isn't animated and the gray printing on the disc is pretty bland (I remember a time when the discs would be printed in full color). However, I am giving this DVD a good grade in terms of content.

Total Grade: 80% / B-

Special thanks to Seb for this great review.

Last edited by jjsthekid on 8/5/2011, 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
jjsthekid
jjsthekid
Managers
Managers

Back to top Go down

Post by SOF 8/5/2011, 12:50 pm

pretty good review though i liked it
SOF
SOF
Good Noodles
Good Noodles

Doubloons : 35303

Back to top Go down

Post by Clappy 8/5/2011, 1:09 pm

Even though the chances of me watching those episodes are slim to none, this was a well written review. Great job Seb!
Clappy
Clappy
Good Noodles
Good Noodles

Doubloons : 48971

Back to top Go down

Post by ♣CF♣ 8/5/2011, 2:55 pm

Nice review!
♣CF♣
♣CF♣
Good Noodles
Good Noodles

Browser : Chrome
Doubloons : 32730

Back to top Go down

Post by ExKizuna 8/5/2011, 3:49 pm

Comes with Tuff Puppie eps? How much is the DVD?
ExKizuna
ExKizuna
Managers
Managers

Doubloons : 28807

Back to top Go down

Post by jjsthekid 8/5/2011, 4:19 pm

ExKizuna wrote:Comes with Tuff Puppie eps? How much is the DVD?

It should cost $16.99 or so.
jjsthekid
jjsthekid
Managers
Managers

Back to top Go down

Post by SpongeSebastian 8/7/2011, 12:15 pm

I noticed I made a mistake in the review. I said that SB and Pat look the way they did in "Shuffleboarding" on the cover and I just realized that's not true at all. Silly Face!
SpongeSebastian
SpongeSebastian
Cashiers
Cashiers

Doubloons : 26952

http://www.tv.com/users/SpongeSebastian/profile.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down